One principal aspect of a bio-based product is its bio-based content. The bio-based content can be measured using the (future) European Standard (Fpr)EN 16785-1:2015, which specifies a method of determining the bio-based content in products, based on the radiocarbon analysis and elemental analysis. This method is applicable to any solid, liquid and gaseous product containing carbon.
NEN is setting up a European committee of experts, which will develop a certification scheme for certification against EN 16785-1. This can be used for assessment of the claim of bio-based content by an independent third party (i.e. certifying body).
European stakeholders are invited to join this committee.
The project will start in October with a kick-off meeting in Brussels and follow-up meetings in November and December to finalize the certification scheme. Then the certification scheme will be validated in pilots before publication in March.
▪ 7 October 2015, Brussels – kick-off meeting Committee of Experts
- establishment of procedures
- presentation of draft certification scheme
▪ 4 November 2015, Berlin – Committee of Experts meeting 2
- discussion of comments
▪ December 2015 – Committee of Experts meeting 3
- finalisation of certification scheme
- preparation of pilots
▪ January – March 2016
- validation in pilots
- final publication of certification scheme
▪ March 2016 – onwards
- maintenance of certification scheme by committee of experts
Download the project flyer:
Stakeholders from industry, governments and other interested parties are invited to become a member. Please note that an annual membership fee will apply.
For more information, contact Harmen Willemse, phone +31 (0)15 2 690 295, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
For registration, use the registration form: